Eligibility & Registration
- Schools must be registered with their home state Science Olympiad organization (and must have paid all applicable state and national fees) prior to competing in the FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament.
- Teams’ places in the tournament are reserved in the order that they submit the online registration form, provided that the registration fee (paid by check) is received by Science Olympiad at FM by November 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm. Teams whose payment is not received by the deadline will forfeit their ability to self-schedule.
- Teams that do not self-schedule beforehand may still sign up at the day of the competition for any available time slot.
- The FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament is a Division C competition. All teams must conform to the Science Olympiad Division C membership rules specified here.
- All students on each team must be eligible to compete for that team per the eligibility rules specified here.
- Competing at the FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament does not qualify schools or teams from outside New York to participate at the New York Science Olympiad state competition.
- All students must submit a liability waiver signed by a parent or guardian, as well as proof of health insurance, prior to competing in the FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament. Forms will be provided to teams after registration.
- Unless otherwise stated, the FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament will follow all rules as stated in the printed national rule book and national event clarifications posted here. We will follow all rules and clarifications published by the national Science Olympiad organization regardless of state-level rule changes or clarifications adopted by New York or any other state organization.
- For events for which the printed national rule book specifies different rules or content for different levels of competition, the FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament will follow the rules specified for the regional tournament level.
- Each team must be accompanied to the FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament by at least one unique adult. (In other words, schools which send two teams to the FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament must be accompanied by at least two adults on competition day.)
- Teams must abide by the Science Olympiad code of ethics and general rules specified here, particularly:
- Unless otherwise stated, if writing utensils, notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not excluded, they are permitted unless they violate the spirit of the problem.
- If a student does not follow accepted safety procedures, he/she will be penalized or disqualified.
- One or more of the 15 current team members must have constructed all pre-built devices presented for judging. Any of the current team members may demonstrate or operate the device at the competition unless stated otherwise in the rules. Any student designated by the coach may impound devices.
- A team may not arbitrate an event after they have removed their device from the impound area.
- All built devices must conform to the general rules described here.
- When applicable as stated in the printed rule book, students must wear appropriate eye protection as described here.
- The FM Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament will be scored according to the guidelines specified here.